.

.

Follow by Email

.

.

Check our more Dollar Store Decor!

.

.

Thursday, February 9, 2012

Leaf Garland {Tomato Cage Topiaries}

I am linking up my post today from Curb Alert! where I share my Outdoor Topiary that I made out of a Tomato Cage.   Click on Read More
to find out how I made it out of using garland purchased at the Dollar Store:


Tomato Cage Topiaries

Original post at Curb Alert!

Yes, you read that correctly - Tomato Cage Topiaries. I love topiaries so much that I made not only one, but two topiaries out of tomato cages and I LOVE THEM!


My Love, not so much - he hates topiaries! sorry babe!they're not going anywhere!

Remember my recent find on SuperBowl Sunday? I couldn't pass up two cheap tomato cages and as I stated before in my previous SuperBowl Sunday {Curbside Edition}post Here, why buy them when you can grab them for free?




Here they are and not too shabby I must say. Must not have been much of a green thumb because looks like nothing much was growing on here. You may recall what these are used for, hence the name.


Well we have this guy and he eats everything in sight, including Internet stalkers, so that is out of the question. Notice how he is laying in the bushes and knocked over my yard decor? He looks really mean here, doesn't he! (GROWL DOG, GROWL!)

Now on to these beautiful fabulous topiaries. I am so proud of myself that I implemented my crafty plan in only a few days. It helps that my materials were easily found at our Dollar Store. They had some 4' leaf garland and floral wire so I purchased all of the ivy looking vines that they had. I believe I spent around $32 total for this project and it took me only a few hours to complete.



This floral wire was amazing and so easy to use with it's own little cutting device, snap and you're done!

I tied up the top of the cage wire, draped the garland from top to bottom and then meticulously wired the garland onto the cage at every intersection. I used 15 strands of garland for each topiary. I may go back to add more when they restock their ivy but for now I think they turned out great.



It was so easy to attach since the garland had little loops at both ends.


There are gaps where you can see through but that's okay, everyone knows it's fake greenery feaux anyway, right? I filled in the parts I didn't like with a few more similar plant pieces that I cut up from other greenery I had on hand. Not exactly the same but that doesn't bother me, overall I like the look of it.
I am sure Hobby Lobby carries fuller garland but I am not willing to spend $19.99 and $29.00 per strand, this girls on a budget so Dollar Store will suffice!


It still didn't seem finished so I used a finials that I had on hand and toilet paper tubes and constructed a little topper for each topiary. It looked a little shotty at first but once I painted it, it really was the perfect added touch that the topiaries needed.




Don't they look great! I think they are cute with the red planters and pillows.
Perfect for Valentine's Day.
Quite impressive towering over this short girl at six feet tall!


Did you happen to notice the other items on the porch?
I included links in case you want more details:

Red pillows: $10 ea Walmart (2011)
Red Planters: Found Curbside
See more about them HERE
Bench: $25 Kroger (2010)
yes, the grocery store!
Wreath: Found Curbside
Along with other Junk HERE
Glittery M: I Made it
See how I made it HERE
Doormat: Home Depot (2005)

I had such a fun afternoon putting these topiaries together. I hope you enjoy them as well :)

Happy Treasure Hunting!


Update: My friend Allyson commented below, questioning if it may fade over time. I am going to spray it with some clear poly spray. I've done this before on other outdoor projects and it worked great! For $30 bucks it can't hurt, right? Now off to find that poly spray!!!
Thanks for the reminder Allyson :)
Pin It

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
And there you have it.  Who would have thought you get so much bang for your buck from the Dollar Store!

~The Dollar Store Decorator

12 comments:

  1. woo hoo

    i'm your first Linky Follower!

    hope you'll take a moment to visit

    alison

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you by chance delete me following you--I thought I had already followed you--hmmm.

      I am following you and hope you will come follow me as well.

      Cheri from Its So Very Cheri

      (if you are already following me--sorry for the confusion--I am having a hard time keeping track of all the new followers and trying to follow everyone who entered my Linky Follower Party Hop.)

      Delete
  2. Happy to find your blog through the Linky Blog Hop! I'm a new Linky Follower!

    Love the topiaries! I'm looking for some for my patio . . . I may follow your lead and make my own!

    Hope you will come visit me at http://www.eccentricleopard.com/ if you have a free moment. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just stopping by from the Linky Party Hop. I hope you will visit www.laughterandgrace.com and follow back.

    Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found you on the blog hop, I'm your newest LF follower- would love it if you followed me too!
    -Melissa
    www.serendipityandspice.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the idea of the faux topiaries. I never remember to water live potted plants and they all die. I was just thinking maybe faux is the way to go. I'm a new Linky follower!

    Sharon @ www.mrshinesclass.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Found you via the Linky hop and have become your newest follower. I hope you have a chance to visit and perhaps become a follower of mine as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brilliant! I love topiaries too! It looks great! I am a new Linky Follower! I hope you'll stop by and visit my place soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi,
    I am happy to be your newest lf follower. I am coming to you from the linky followers blog hop. If you'd like to follow back, I can be found at http://www.measuredbytheheart.com
    Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this idea!!!

    I also LOVE topiaries :) I have 3 huge topiary paintings in my house plus many little topiaries. The only thing I don't have...real ones! I have tried so many times to grow real ones and I cannot keep them alive! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad I found you on the Linky hop...I'm following with GFC and LF. I would love if you stopped by and followed back if you are not, so we can stay connected. Lori@ http://www.bleak2unique.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Found you through the new linky followers blog hop. I'm so happy to be your newest follower, it would be great if you follow me back. :)

    And, on Friday I'll be hosting a "What does your blog want to be when it grows up" blog hop with a few of my blog buddies ... have you thought of your blog's hopes and dreams?

    Please check it out here...http://thespacebetweenblog.wordpress.com/2012/02/27/when-im-five/

    Karah
    thespacebetweenblog.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete

I truly appreciate your comments and love to read and respond to every one of them. Thank you for visiting Dollar Store Decor!